Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Solution to Computer Backup Problems

I have only backed up one thing on my computerâ€"my iPod library. This is because my computer suggested that I back up my iPod music. I did it because I had bought numerous songs on iTunes and I wanted to have my songs backed on CDs in case a virus ruined my computer. However, after taking the time to burn a stack of CDs, I decided not to take the time to back up my whole computer because I knew it would take too long. Who wants to sit in front of their computer for a few days to insert CDs and remove burned CDs? However, after my virus protection expired, I decided to look into finding a better back up plan for my computer files. My friend suggested that I buy an external hard drive, but it seemed too expensive on my student budget. I began searching for other options and I found an online backup system that sounded easy to use. Luckily, it was free too! Since I don’t have a lot of time or money, I quickly downloaded the software, installed it, and backed up my files right then. It backed up 2 GB and stored it for as long as I wanted. I decided that I would go to unlimited storage for about $5 per month if I needed to. At first I was a little hesitant about my data being stored on the internet, but there is a private key encryption and a locked file to prevent others from stealing my data (somebody may not want my boring bio paper, but they may think my finances are interesting). After finishing my back up, I spent the rest of the day doing more important tasks rather than burning back up CDs. I would definitely suggest a remote backup system for anyone that wants to backup their computer files fast and at the bare minimum cost.

No comments: